The best comic book animated movies are not only blockbusters but true masterpieces of motion pictures that are universally adored by loyal fans.
If you’re a comic book lover, you know that comic book movies are some of the most popular films today. But how do you choose? From Batman animations to Spider-Man and Superman, there’s so much to choose from.
But if you want to know the best options to select from, here are some of the best picks.
1. Justice League: Doom (2012)
- Voice Cast: Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly, Susan Eisenberg, Nathan Fillion, Carl Lumbly, Michael Rosenbaum, Bumper Robinson, Carlos Alazraqui, Claudia Black, Dee Bradley Baker, Paul Blackthorne, Olivia d’Abo, Robin Atkin Downes,
Justice League: Doom is first on our list of the best comic book animated movies. The plot is loosely based on a 2000 comic book, JLA: Tower of Babel, by Mark Waid.
It was released in 2012 as a sequel to “Crisis on two Earths,” It is also the 13th movie in the DC Universe animated original movies.
The film starts with JL teaming up with Cyborg to stop a theft orchestrated by the Royal Flush Gang. Vandal Savage plans to wipe out most of the humankind for his selfish reason.
Still, first, he recruits a group of villains to take out the Justice league using plans Batman created in case there was a need to stop the Justice League members.
The plans are successfully stolen, and the Justice league is taken down. What is to become of the world now that its protectors are gone?.
2. Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse (2018)
- Voice Cast: Shameik Moore, Jake Johnson, Chris Pine, Hailee Steinfeld, Mahershala Ali, Brian Tyree Henry, Lily Tomlin, Luna Lauren, Zoë Kravitz, John Mulaney, Kimiko Glenn, Nicolas Cage, Kathryn Hahn, Liev Schreiber.
This movie is one of the best comic book animated movies and the first animated movie in the Spider-Man franchise.
That may be why it required the highest number of animators Sony pictures ever used for an animated film. Miles Morales is a teenager living in New York City with his father, a Spidey antagonist.
However, Miles goes on a trip to see his uncle and gets beaten by a radioactive spider while they’re out painting graffiti.
He also happened to witness Spider-Man’s death and decides to step in and fill his shoes after Spider-Man tasked him with the burden of protecting a drive that could reactivate the collider.
This mission is quite the task as he struggles to get rid of the collider for good, the same thing Spider-Man died trying to destroy.
Good thing he has the help of other spider people from different dimensions. It was considered so good that it won the Academy Award for best animated feature movie.
3. Batman: Under The Red Hood (2010)
- Voice Cast: Bruce Greenwood, Jensen Ackles, Vincent Martella, John DiMaggio, Neil Patrick Harris, Jason Isaac, Wade Williams, Jim Piddock, Gary Cole, Robert Clotworthy, Brian George, Kelly Hu.
The Joker captures Robin, whose alias is Jason Todd, and tortures him before leaving him to die in an abandoned warehouse, and his plan works out fine because Batman cannot get to the scene before the bomb that kills Jason goes off.
A couple of years after Robin’s death, Batman faces a new menace called Robin Hood, who has appointed himself the leader of Gotham’s band of drug dealers.
Red Hood promises them protection against Batman and Black Mask. His plan doesn’t work out since Batman and Nightwing keep outsmarting him.
The Joker comes back into the picture after Black Mask releases him from Arkham Asylum with the hopes that he’ll kill Red Hood.
They’re all in for a shocker when they discover who Mr. Reddie’s actual target has been all along. Another exciting thing is finding who the man behind the Red Hood is; with all its plot twists, it ticks all the boxes for the best comic book animated movies.
4. The Incredibles (2004)
- Voice Cast: Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Sarah Vowell, Spencer Fox, Jason Lee, Samuel L. Jackson, Elizabeth Peña, Brad Bird, Teddy Newton, Jean Sincere, Bud Luckey, Wallace Shawn, Lou Romano.
Bird developed the Incredibles based on comics he read in the 1960s and spy films he watched around that same period.
The Supes have been fighting crime to protect the general public, but somehow, they always leave quite a mess in their wake.
The GP turn their backs against them, and when the lawsuits keep coming, the government is forced to put a permanent pause on their activities.
Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, and their kids live an everyday life devoid of any real action, and Bob (Mr. Incredible) is bored to death.
So when an opportunity presents itself and gives him a chance to kick some robot butt, he buckles off and zooms.
He prepares to go on more missions secretly, but then a series of activities bring this ploy to his wife’s knowledge.
This new development is a good thing because together, they can defeat the impending danger.
5. The Death Of Superman (2018)
- Voice Cast: Jerry O’Connell, Rebecca Romijn, Rainn Wilson, Rosario Dawson, Nathan Fillion, Christopher Gorham, Matt Lanter, Shemar Moore, Nyambi Nyambi, Jason O’Mara, Jonathan Adams, Rocky Caroll, Trevor Devall, Paul Elding, Jennifer Hale.
Unarguably one of the best comic book animated movies, the death of Superman is based on the comic book of the same title.
After Superman stops Intergang’s attempt to kidnap the Mayor, he is officially inducted into the superheroes gang, or maybe the King Supe status, in the eyes of the public.
After some analysis, he discovers intergang’s tech is part alien technology. Although, that should be the least of their worries, even though Superman suspects Lex Luthor’s involvement.
They’re barely settled when something or is it someone comes spinning out of space, destroying everything in its wake, including but not limited to Submarines, the prestigious Atlanteans, rockets, and the Justice League.
Then Superman makes an appearance, Will he defeat this space monster? (since it appeared out of nowhere), or will he end up visiting the mortician? I guess the clue is in the title.
6. Teen Titans Go! To The Movies (2018)
- Voice Cast: Scott Menville, Hynden Walch, Khary Payton, Tara Strong, Greg Cipes, Will Arnett, Kristen Bell, Eric Bauza, Michael Bolton, Nicolas Cage, Joey Cappabianca, Greg Davies, John DiMaggio, Halsey.
Bless DC’s heart for giving us one of the best comic book animated movies in the form of TTGTTM (I’m sure you know what that means).
It is based on the superhero team Teen Titans from DC comics. The Teen Titans are having a hard time with their superhero business because nobody seems to know them or take them seriously, and other superheroes have their movies, but none has been made for them.
They were oblivious until their encounter with the Balloon man. When the villain didn’t immediately recognize them, they became musicians on the spot in a bid to introduce themselves.
Unfortunately, they got carried away and had to be assisted by the Justice League, and they’re reminded yet again that they don’t have any movie to prove they’re superheroes.
Robin and the rest of the Titans embark on a mission to find an arch-enemy for fighting to kickstart their supe career.
7. Big Hero 6 (2014)
- Voice Cast: Scott Adsit, Ryan Potter, Daniel Henney, T. J. Miller, Jamie Chung, Damon Wayans Jr., Genesis Rodriguez, James Cromwell, Alan Tudyk, Maya Rudolph, Katie Lowes, Daniel Gerson.
Hiro Hamada is a teenager living in San Fransokyo. He’s a robotic wizkid, earning him a place at the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology after the Institution sees his microbots project and how functional it is.
He receives offers for his microbots, but he declines the offer soon after, the lab mysteriously catches fire, and his brother Tadashi dies in it while trying to save his Mentor, Prof. Robert.
Hiro discovers where his microbots are with the help of Baymax, a healthcare robot his brother created while he was alive.
Someone is mass producing them, determined to find out who is behind the theft so he can get revenge for his brother’s death.
Hiro calls on Tadashi’s friends together, and they work together to discover who the masked man is. The sequence of events is intriguing, making this movie one of the best comic book animated movies.
8. Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay (2018)
- Voice Cast: Christian Slater, Vanessa Williams, Billy Brown, Liam McIntyre, Tara Strong, Kristen Bauer van Straten, Gideon Emery, C. Thomas Howell, Jim Pirri, Dania Ramirez, Dave Fennoy.
Suicide Squad is next on our list of the best comic book animated movies. It is based on the supervillain team of the same name from DC comics.
Agent Waller recruits a group of criminals to help her steal a hard drive containing classified information and to keep them in check, she plants bombs in their heads that she can trigger if the mission goes south. Two team members betray the task and get killed.
A couple of years later, when She learns that she will die at any point due to a terminal illness, She sends the team again to retrieve a “Get Out Of Hell Free” card, which is believed to make the holder transcend Hell and get to Heaven regardless of whatever the holder did while on Earth.
The Suicide Squad begins a cat and mouse race with another team of villains to acquire the card. Which team reaches the card? And does the card live up to its name?
9. Superman: Red Son (2020)
- Voice Cast: Jason Isaacs, Amy Acker, Diedrich Bader, Vanessa Marshall, Phil Morris, Paul Williams, Phil Lamarr, Jim Meskimen, Sasha Roiz, William Salyers, Roger Craig Smith, Tara Strong.
Red Son is based on the character Superman from DC comics. This movie twists the stories of many characters in an exciting way, making it a great addition to our list of the best comic book animated movies.
It starts with Superman revealing his powers to a young girl after she saves him from some bullies. She encourages him to use his powers to protect his country and takes that up.
When the US learns of this “Human” weapon, Lex Luthor is tasked with creating something that can defend them against Superman.
The outcome is “Superior Man ” a clone that Superman defeats. Brainiac is reprogrammed to be Superman’s advisor after he invades Earth.
Still, it is revealed that it was a hoax, leaving Superman and Lex no choice but to team up against a common enemy.
10. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)
- Voice Cast: Justin Chambers, C. Thomas Howell, Kevin Conroy, Michael B. Jordan, Dee Bradley Baker, Steve Blum, Sam Daly, Dana Delaney, Cary Elwes, Jennifer Hale, Danny Huston.
The flashpoint paradox is based on a comic book named “flashpoint.” Barry Allen’s (the Flash) arch-enemy, Zoom, recruits some of Barry’s enemies to break into the flash museum as part of a grand plan to destroy Central City.
Flash defeats them, aided by the Justice League. Although things are far from normal the next day when he wakes to a world where his mother is alive, he has no powers, and most superheroes are bloodthirsty and power-hungry.
Barry discovers he somehow set off the chaos when he tried to go back in time and save his mother. He has to look for any of the superheroes who are still sane and team up to try to restore balance on Earth before his memories are completely wiped.
Its fantastic plot twists and storyline earn it a place on the list of the best comic book animated movies.